Friday, March 7, 2014

More than a body...


So I read a couple of blogs yesterday that ROCKED MY WORLD! (Here & Here they are!) Seriously, this chick like rocked my world. Everything she had to say was so true. It was like she climbed into my head through my ears and put my thoughts on paper. While our issues with our bodies aren’t the exact same… they are similar! &&& if there’s anything I’ve learned since starting Crossfit is that we all have our battles with our bodies. It doesn’t matter if we’re big or little. Everyone has the potential to have issues with their body.

So, yesterday I was talking to some friends about these articles, because we all have the same concerns. (See above sentence. Ha!)

 Then I was doing a lot of thinking about it all. (I always am thinking. ALWAYS!) My WHOLE life I’ve defined myself by my body. Now, I’m in a world where we still tend to define ourselves by our bodies! It’s much different, and I know that my friends that I work out with love me for more than my body (maybe). Still… When we look at our bodies, each other’s bodies, or even top Crossfit athletes’ bodies we still make comments. “Look at those abs.” “Man, I want her legs.” “Can I just be her?” It’s not bad, infect it’s completely positive and good. And I really don’t think it’s a bad thing. If the whole world could talk about bodies like that we’ll be better people.

BUT…

Then it hit me. I AM MORE THAN JUST MY BODY! Seriously, body love is great! Appreciating your body is super! Getting stronger is fantastic! Wearing smaller clothes is cool! BUT at the end of the day I am more than my body!

I am a social worker. I help kids! I am smart (though I lack common sense, ha!). I am out going. (I think) I am funny. I am nice. I am caring. I am the best damn Chihuahua mom.

I am SO MUCH MORE THAN MY BODY! Why do I continue to let my body define me? I always defined myself as “fat.” Now I take great pride in being “strong.” I take great pride in my developing ass. (Seriously, it’s going to be fabulous!) BUT my body fails me. Sometimes I get hurt. Sometimes my body just doesn’t work the way I want it to. Tomorrow a tragedy could strike and my lifting could go away. Tomorrow things could change. When I’m 80 my skin will be wrinkly. I’m pretty sure my fellow old people won’t care about the fabulousness of my ass. My hair will be grey. Regardless of what we do, there is still aging that takes place. If all I care about is my body, then what will have then? NOTHING!

I HAVE to be more than a body. We HAVE to be more than our bodies. Because at the end of the day, our bodies aren’t what matters.

I want people to know me as someone who is kind. Someone who made them smile. Someone who made their day brighter. Someone who helped when no one else would. Someone who was generous. That is far more important than what my body is. I always wanted to be more than the “fat chick.” Now, I need to remember that I am more than the strength of my muscles. I am Stefani and I am fabulous.

So, here’s what I did…



Yup, that’s right… I put hearts where my body is in my mirror, because I love my body… but I AM SO MUCH MORE! I am strong & I am beautiful! What I wear and what I look like means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I hope everyone remembers… YOU are more than just a body!

No comments:

Post a Comment