Monday, August 18, 2014

New Goals = New Plan

Oooooeeee! What a weekend! I have so much to talk about. So many thoughts. So much good! BUT first, let’s talk about how I really suck at budgeting.
Well, I don’t completely suck, but I’ll do well for a while. Then my occasional “splurge” snowballs into spending like I am not a social worker. Except that I am a social worker… THUS, creating a problem.
Last week I decided to do the worst and best thing I’ve ever done in my financial life. Seriously, it was genius! And so very, very painful.
I wrote out every single place I spent money, and how much I spent for the last 3 months. I did it by hand. I felt ever last number. I won’t post a picture of my actual write out, but here’s a basic format I used.
Place
May
June
July
Total
Fred Meyers
1 Million Dollars
2 Million Dollars
My First Born
In Debt Forever
Costco
Does a Single
Person Really
Need to Buy
In Bulk
Shell
I’m Glad That
I Get Good Gas
Millage
Still Too Much

Seriously, the Fred Meyer numbers were BAD!
This taught me a few things.
1.       I like variety. There were few places that I spent money at in all 3 months. I apparently like to switch up my money spending environments.
2.       Apparently those $5-$10 purchases actually do add up. Quickly. Those are probably the ones that I justify the most too.
3.       I am never allowed in Fred Meyer without cash again. There is just too much goodness all in one store!
Currently, my ultimate goals it pay down/off my credit cards and get Lasik eye surgery. I anticipate that it might take a while, but it will be worth it. Here are 4 things I’m going to do in the meantime to work towards that goal…
1.       Meal plan. Meal plan. Meal plan. That way I am only buying food I need, and I only go into the store one time. The more I go into the store the more I am tempted by all the things on the shelves.
2.       I’m going to limit the stores I go to. My hope is that by going into the same stores all the “new and exciting” things I find in stores will become mundane. I, mean, if you’re always seeing the same things it has to get boring eventually.
3.       Everything I’ve read says “Use Cash!” So, I’m going to try to use cash at all stores. I refuse to give up my online bill paying.
4.       I’m going to be diligent in tracking my spending over the course of the next 3 months. I might even get more detailed. What items am I exactly spending money on?

I will get Lasik! If it’s the last thing I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment