Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Needing a Relationship...

So, this is a phenomenon that often puzzles me, though you think I'd understand it by now. I don't understand people who "need" a relationship. You know, those people that constantly have to have a boyfriend or girlfriend and who fall in love with any boy or girl they are with. It seems like there's no selection process. It's all or nothing for anyone who is willing to participate, and then their heart broken and do it again. In the mean time they drop their friends and expect their friends to be right where they left time while they were "busy" in their relationship.

I'll be honest I had a really good friendship end because of this and it still puzzles me.

I guess I always dream of finding the right guy. The one guy who is right for me. I don't waste my time with others, and will tell you that at any given time. I know what I want from a guy, and maybe my ideal guy seems a little unrealistic, but if he doesn't share similar values, get a long with my family, treat me well, treat those important to me well, and make sure he allows me to be me and not just an extension of him then I'm out. I don't think that's too much to ask. And I've met guys who could fit part of that mold, but definitely not all of the mold.

I guess that maybe it comes from the way we are raised. Growing up my parents never really "encouraged" any relationships I had. They didn't discourage them, but the recognized that I had things to do in my life before I decided to settle down. They never said things like, "Oh, when can I meet him!" or "You talk about so and so a lot, are you dating?" That has always been my part of life on my terms. My parents still don't ever say things like "when are we going to have grand-babies  and right now they could easily say "If you were married we wouldn't have to help paint your house." Instead my parents have always been content with my brother and my accomplishments. They never wanted to stunt that with relationship talk.

I imagine that if my parents had encouraged relationships or made a bigger deal of relationships I probably wouldn't have the same outlook I had. Maybe I would want or need relationships more, because of the positive reinforcement I got when I was in them. But instead I've simply been taught to live my life my way, and do what I have to do for me and the rest will fall in place.





PS: I really think I like blogging better than Facebooking, because I can write what I want and not worry about who's reading it because if they're reading it they're choosing to read it. It's not just popping up on their news feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment