Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Grad School

I think it's time. Time that I get my master's. I figure that I know that I can do it now. I have time, I only have to worry about me, and I have a job with a fixed schedule. This is like the golden moment for me. I know if I don't do it now I won't ever do it. Then I'll always feel like poop because I didn't. 

Since I do have to work while I do this I am thinking about doing it online. 


Here are my thoughts on online degrees... 

1. You are really missing out on the teacher and student interaction. The benefit of attending a university in person is that you get that interaction which not only widens your personal view but gives you perspective you didn't know you were missing. 

2. It takes self discipline. 

3. It may not be as legitimate other degrees. I don't know know if that's the right word... But basically I don't want people to look at my degree and say "psh... she got her degree from where." 


Why and how I would go about it... 

1. I can work and go to school at the same time. Which means I still make money and (I think) I can get tuition reimbursement. 

2. It would be in a field like HR or public administration, and I feel that those fields are pretty black and white and don't have as much of a need for perspective or different world views like Social Work or Psychology might. 

3. I would go through an established state university. There are schools like Colorado State, Oregon State, Penn State, etc. that all have online programs. I do that in hopes that when people see the degree they don't look at me like I wasted a shit ton of money. 

4. I hope that I can find discipline somewhere deep inside, but I also know myself well enough that push come to shove I get done what needs to get done. Besides, I'm sure I need to revisit all nighters... :) 


I want to get degrees that will allow me to move up in my department (and maybe return to Boise). While I go to school all my student loans will be differed, so I can pay off any debt I might have that would keep me here and prepare myself to be able to move somewhere else if necessary. 

I think I'm too young to be stagnant. I know that Social Work can only take me so far, especially in this field. If I want to enter the administrative part of the world I need to broaden my knowledge. 

Hmmm... I just hope that it all works out. Seriously, if someone tells me I wasted a lot of money on an online degree I'll cry. 

Any thoughts on online programs? I will take suggestions/thoughts... 

No comments:

Post a Comment